27 February 2011

Oscar 2011: Who SHOULD Win



Tonight, this long season finally comes to a close. Here are my picks for who I would like to win out of those nominated. There are plenty of awards I would hand out to people that aren't even nominated (Ben Mendelsohn in Animal Kingdom, for example). I'll post my predictions for who actually will win later today.

  • Motion Picture: "The King's Speech" (or "Inception")
To further break this down, I'll rank them like Academy members do.
  1. "The King's Speech"
  2. "Inception"
  3. "Winter's Bone"
  4. "The Social Network"
  5. "True Grit"
  6. "The Fighter"
  7. "127 Hours"
  8. "Black Swan"
  9. "Toy Story 3"
  10. "The Kids Are All Right"
Looking at this list, I can't help but be struck by how much of a difference there is between my top ten films of the year and the Academy's top ten.
  • Director: David Fincher - "The Social Network"
  • Actor: Javier Bardem - "Biutiful" (or Colin Firth - "The King's Speech")
  • Actress: Jennifer Lawrence - "Winter's Bone"
  • Supporting Actor: Geoffrey Rush - "The King's Speech"
  • Supporting Actress: Jacki Weaver - "Animal Kingdom"
  • Best Adapted Screenplay: "The Social Network"
  • Best Original Screenplay: "Another Year"
  • Art Direction: "Inception"
  • Cinematography: "Inception"
  • Costume Design: "I Am Love"
  • Film Editing: "127 Hours"
  • Makeup: "The Way Back"
  • Original Score: "How to Train Your Dragon" (or "Inception")
  • Original Song: "Coming Home" from "Country Strong"
  • Sound Editing: "Inception"
  • Sound Mixing: "Inception"
  • Visual Effects: "Inception"
  • Animated Feature Film: "How to Train Your Dragon"
  • Foreign Language Film: "Biutiful" (or "In a Better World")
  • Documentary: "Exit Through the Gift Shop"
  • Documentary Short: "Strangers No More"*
  • Short Film (Animated): "Madagascar, a Journey Diary"*
  • Short Film: "God of Love"*
I would compromise on a few of these. For instance, I would love to see James Franco take home a trophy as much as I would Colin Firth or Javier Bardem. I think Toy Story 3 is technically better than How to Train Your Dragon, but I see the latter as a more admirable underdog.

*I don't really have much of an opinion on the last three categories, as I haven't seen the films.


My tally:
"Inception" - 5 (7)
"The King's Speech" - 2 (3)
"Biutiful" - 2
"How to Train Your Dragon" - 2
"The Social Network" - 2
"Animal Kingdom" - 1
"Another Year" - 1
"Country Strong" - 1
"Exit Through the Gift Shop" - 1
"God of Love" - 1
"I Am Love" - 1
"Madagascar, a Journey Diary" - 1
"127 Hours" - 1
"Strangers No More" - 1
"The Way Back" - 1
"Winter's Bone" - 1
"In a Better World" - (1)

No comments:

Post a Comment