07 March 2010

Oscar 2010: Who WILL win



Today's the big day. I've been an Oscar watcher for a few years now, but I've paid the closest attention this year. I feel like it's a fairly easy year to predict, and while I hope I call everything right, I wouldn't be upset by some surprises here and there. Here are my predictions.

  • Motion Picture: "The Hurt Locker" (alt. "Avatar")
  • Director: Kathryn Bigelow - "The Hurt Locker" (alt. James Cameron - "Avatar")
  • Actor: Jeff Bridges - "Crazy Heart" (alt. Jeremy Renner - "The Hurt Locker")
  • Actress: Sandra Bullock - "The Blind Side" (alt. Carey Mulligan - "An Education")
  • Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz - "Inglourious Basterds" (alt. Christopher Plummer - "The Last Station")
  • Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique - "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (alt. Maggie Gyllenhaal - "Crazy Heart")
  • Best Adapted Screenplay: "Up in the Air" (alt. "An Education")
  • Best Original Screenplay: "The Hurt Locker" (alt. "Inglourious Basterds")
  • Art Direction: "Avatar" (alt. "Sherlock Holmes")
  • Cinematography: "Avatar" (alt. "Inglourious Basterds")
  • Costume Design: "The Young Victoria" (alt. "Bright Star")
  • Film Editing: "The Hurt Locker" (alt. "Avatar")
  • Makeup: "Star Trek" (alt. "The Young Victoria")
  • Original Score: "Up" (alt. "Avatar")
  • Original Song: "The Weary Kind" from "Crazy Heart" (alt. "Down in New Orleans" from "The Princess and the Frog")
  • Sound Editing: "Avatar" (alt. "The Hurt Locker")
  • Sound Mixing: "The Hurt Locker" (alt. "Avatar")
  • Visual Effects: "Avatar" (alt. "Star Trek")
  • Animated Feature Film: "Up" (alt. "Fantastic Mr. Fox")
  • Foreign Language Film: "The Secret in their Eyes" (alt. "Ajami")
  • Documentary: "The Cove" (alt. "Food, Inc.")
  • Documentary Short: "The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant" (alt. "China's Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province")
  • Short Film (Animated): "Logorama" (alt. "Wallace & Gromit in 'A Matter of Loaf and Death'")
  • Short Film: "The Door" (alt. "The New Tenants")

I feel pretty good about these... but that means nothing. Tomorrow, I'll post how I did and finally, my top films of 2009. I know it is already March and I'm just now getting around to my list, but I always post it the day of the Oscars. This year, it will be a day late.

My tally:

"The Hurt Locker" - 5
"Avatar" - 4
"Crazy Heart" - 2
"Up" - 2
"The Blind Side" - 1
"The Cove" - 1
"The Door" - 1
"Inglourious Basterds" - 1
"The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant" - 1
"Logorama" - 1
"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" - 1
"The Secret in their Eyes" - 1
"Star Trek" - 1
"Up in the Air" - 1
"The Young Victoria" - 1

2 comments:

  1. Logorama was all sorts of awesome. But awards aside, what movie was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of all nominated films that I've seen? "Ajami." I think I will include it on my top films of 2010 list, however, since it wasn't released theatrically until this year.

    ReplyDelete