10 November 2012

Don't Let Me Down



I think "Do The Right Thing" is one of the best film titles of all time. I think the film is great, but the film's title is really great. It has already involved the audience, by addressing them, before the film even begins. And then it fits the movie once you are watching it. Perfect. I've always thought "Don't Let Me Down" would be a good title too, in the same way. Of course, with a title like that, the movie would have to be more of a downer than "Do The Right Thing."

I'm deep into the last stage of pre-melancholia; disappointment. Or perhaps just funk. Depression is too drastic a term and I have always prided myself on my extremely well-adjusted mental state, even when I'm feeling blue. Yes, I am aware of how this sounds and how people might take it offensively... It's my blog, right? Anyway, much like "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" five years ago, it looks as if "Silver Linings Playbook" will be the film I pull into this melancholy with me. I've already seen it twice and I feel like it is never going to leave my head. Is it bad that I feel so kindred with the main character, who just got out of a mental hospital, if I've always prided myself on my mental well-adjustment? It is what it is. Excelsior.

The song that just came on my iTunes is perfect for writing this. It sounds almost like something from the score of a Spider-man film. It is some of Alexandre Desplat's work from "The Painted Veil."

A week ago this time, I was watching the final film at the Savannah Film Festival. I was there for 8 days and saw nearly two dozen films and lots of big Hollywood stars. Not to mention, I got to spend so much time in Savannah and on Tybee Island, two places I could most certainly call home if my family was there as well. It was a wonderful week. "The Reality of a Rut: Cameron McAllister's quest for a new job, but not just any job... which could help explain why it's taking so huggin' long" would be the title of a book I would've written this week, post-Savannah. By the way, huggin' is a perfect new euphemism for cuss words.

I don't like being let down by the unfulfilled intentions of friends. But it almost always allows for a readjustment. This adjustment will be forged in the fires of a deep melancholy. In more general news, I suppose I sure am ready for a soulmate to come along.

This post is all over the place... business as usual. God is, as always, my portion. He's much more faithful than I am. Not to just tag him on here at the end, but it's just so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment